Ashley Clark
Mrs. Wilhemus
AP English Lit
25 June 2013
The
Garden of Eden
The mysterious, unknown philosopher
from Sophie’s World asks the two
questions, “Who are you?” and “Where does the world come from?”. The
philosopher, although his motives are still unclear, wants Sophie to start
thinking philosophically and starts with those two simple questions. General
answers to these questions would be, for example, I am Ashley Clark and the
world comes from God. Thinking in a philosophical manner, though, changes the
answer to these questions. Beginning to think like a philosopher makes
elementary questions take on much more depth.
“Who are you?” I am the daughter of
James West and Karey Wicks but I am lucky enough to have Julie West as my step
mom and Darrin Wicks as my step dad. Being brought up with two sets of parents
has helped make me who I am. I am witty because of my father, hard-headed
because of my mother, analytic because of my step dad, and kind and understanding
because of my step mom. I have a large family who has helped shape me into the
person I am today.
I
attend North High School where I am a junior. I play soccer and I am sixteen.
This is what people generally find out about me early on in the new
relationship we have created. I like to think of myself as outgoing and
friendly but I also know I can be standoffish and shy at times. Like everyone
else, my mistakes and past have made me who I am. I have learned my lessons and
realized what I am able to do and what I should not do, making me a better
person than some people. My parents have raised me well enough to let me be
unique but also have led me down the right path. My accomplishments, failures,
friends, family, and experiences have made me who I am.
“Where
does the world come from?” I have always been taught the world was created by
God. I also believe God created science to perform tasks to create new species,
inventions, and much more. Sophie asks herself, “But could anything have always existed?” As far as anyone knows, like
Sophie says, space has always existed. I
believe God created space and everything in it, though. It is hard to answer
this question because no one knows for certain and it would take extensive
thinking and studies to figure out, and then no one would still know how
everything.
“Who
are you?” and “Where does the world come from?” are both questions that take
much philosophical thinking. Although not impossible to answer, they are both
difficult questions to answer if you have never thought like a philosopher
before, like me. Before experiencing Sophie’s World, I would have given an
extremely general answer but now that I have read the letters from the
mysterious philosopher, I process situations with more depth.
No comments:
Post a Comment